A login is the way you identify yourself to a computer (for example, the server that hosts our message board), usually with a username and password. You don't need a login to post a message on the message board. You do need one to chat in the chat room. Just because you have a login, doesn't mean you always have to be logged in. If you have a login, you also have the option of filling in a profile, with an email address (also optional)
When you are logged in:
- Any posts you make you will be able to edit later
- Your user name will be entered automatically and the email address in your profile, and your username will be turned into an email link on your posts. But you can if you choose delete your email address from the text box, and then your name will appear as plain text.
- Your username will appear at the top of the board
When you are not logged in:
- You cannot edit your posts later
- You will have to type in your name, and it will appear as plain text
- Your username will not show at the top of the board, no one will know you are visiting
Click the Create Account link at the top of the message board. It is free. You will see the following screen:
- Think up a username. If it is already taken by someone else, it will not be available, and you will get an error message and a chance to try again. (A tip: you can add underscores or a period to the name you want, e.g. _Me_). Login names are case sensitive, so myloginname is not the same as MyLoginName.
- Enter a password
- Confirm your password
- Enter your email address (optional)
- Choose whether or not you want password reminders, and if so, how often, from this drop-down box. Your choices are Never/Weekly/Bi-Monthly/Monthly/Quarterly.
- Choose whether or not you want to receive a newsletter from Network54 (the site host), your choices are Never/Bi-weekly. This newsletter is nothing to do with Squalor Survivors; if you are interested in keeping your Inbox free of clutter, I recommend Never
- Choose your language. Recommend English
- Auto logoff: Your choices are Hour/Day/Week/Month/Quarterly
- You have to accept the terms and conditions of the site host; you can read these by clicking on the Terms and Conditions link
- Click the Create Account button
- You will now be directed back to the message board, all logged-in.
- Click the My Account link to access your personal area.
With a Network 54 account, you can now create your own forums, chatrooms, votelets (polls) and store files in a "Realm" (basically, a bit of storage space). All that is beyond the scope of this page, however, which focuses on how you can use your account to use the existing Squalor Survivors resources.
Clicking the My Account link at the top of the message board takes you into the Edit Account Settings page with a list of links to areas where you can do such things as edit a personal profile, change your password, or change your Auto logoff setting.
Changing your personal profile
Your personal profile offers a place to share any or all of the following:
- A website address
- and assorted Instant messenger screen names
When users click on my username, the details I choose to share are displayed:
Uploading and changing a personal photo
Under Personal Photo, you can upload a small picture that will appear beside your name when you post whilst logged in. It doesn't have to be a photo of you, it could just be something you feel represents yourself, or a particular interest.
Your picture should be small (70 x 70 pixels, 128KB or less) .gif, .jpeg, or .png file.
And this is my personal photo: